State Alchemist Monkey D. Dragon's Avatar

How does Manga work?

After reading Bakuman, I am now really curious to know. How does Manga work?

I mean, do the manga's write and draw 1 chapter each week? do they plan ahead or make it up as they go along?

Or do they write and draw the whole series and present it to the publisher at once? if this is true, how could there be 'bad' endings?

I have heard a lot of things like "the whole manga is done, they just give us one chapter a week so we keep buying it" etc. If that's the case, I would definately buy all the chapters at once if the ever released it like that.

So then whats the truth?

(apparently Googling this doesn't work...-.-)

Just like newspaper articles, etc.

They have deadlines they have to meet every week. The publisher may even have a say on the content.

Whether they plan ahead or make it up as they go along depends on the mangaka and the nature of the manga.

I think they will plan and draw ahead of it, meaning about 5-10 chapters ahead of the current releasing manga, so keeping it this way, they will be able to release one chapter each week wif no problem, as some chapter takes more den 1 week, some lesser ( they do have their personal life well). There is no way they would have completely draw out to the las chapter, an example is currently D gray man, due to author been sick, SJ is unable to release the chapters, this has proven it. =]
    [CENTER][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Credits to Blue-Hime*

Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zcheez View Post
    I think they will plan and draw ahead of it, meaning about 5-10 chapters ahead of the current releasing manga, so keeping it this way, they will be able to release one chapter each week wif no problem, as some chapter takes more den 1 week, some lesser ( they do have their personal life well). There is no way they would have completely draw out to the las chapter, an example is currently D gray man, due to author been sick, SJ is unable to release the chapters, this has proven it. =]
    i guess you're right ;O, but do you think its the same with Anime? (This question have been bugging me(title name), just with Anime xD

they do draw ahead of the release dates.

the scanlations of every week's one piece, naruto and bleach are out even before japan gets them.

We get it on thursday evening/friday, japan gets it on the monday after that.

Quote Originally Posted by XlamlamlX View Post
    i guess you're right ;O, but do you think its the same with Anime? (This question have been bugging me(title name), just with Anime xD
    Anime has a much higher lead time than a manga.... But I think that anime has a shorter lead time than western cartoons. An example is Avatar: The Last Airbender... It took about a year for one of their episodes to go from start (writing/storyboarding) to finish. Whereas for an anime the manga can release a chapter and then have the anime air the episode for it after about 8 months (e.g. the most recent Bleach episode covers to the manga chapter 306 and the most recent manga chapter is 339, or One Piece anime is at chapter 490 and manga is at chapter 525).

So an anime will have several episodes in production at the same time, some will be at different stages (writing/storyboarding, timing, animation, colouring, voice work, sound fx/foley, etc.).

i'm not sure how accurate this is, but its my understanding that the authors have a weekly deadline for a chapter.

But that chapter due to JUMP, is approx. 2-3 weeks (chapters) ahead of the one published that week. And, Colour pages are probably due once every two months i guess.

And i'm pretty sure JUMP requires the mangaka to at least have a brief storyline.

Who knows, the popular series may be ahead about 25 chapter so thay can plan everything really good. I guess a mangaka works as much as the can so they can stop whenever they want to come up with news in the story....If I was a mangaka I would do 5 chapers a week if I got the flow that week...that would give me more time to do a good story.