Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Lost in fathomed infinity Freakshow's Avatar

Post Powers of the Narutoverse

POWERS OF THE NARUTOVERSE.

It seems that the word "power" is a very general term as there are many kinds of it.

I have thought of how I could divide "power" into its different kinds. Now, I could have missed many details and many others, but the following five types of power are seemingly the most significant to me..

Physical Power

Physical power is a power which strength and physical force are considered. This is often manifested in Taijutsu. Examples of Shinobi who excel at this are Taijutsu masters like Gai and Lee, also Sakura and Tsunade, who can break large walls without breaking a sweat.

Destructive Power

This power is the power of being able to destroy things at a large scale. Physical power may be categorized under this. But destructive power doesn't always mean raw power. It may refer to the magnitude of all powers of a shinobi. Examples of those who have strong destructive power are Sasori, who can raze an entire village with his puppets, Deidara, who can destroy a village by dropping powerful clay bombs, and Orochimaru and Jiraya who both have gigantic summons. Plus Orochimaru's resurrection abilities.

Power of Movement and Speed

Though there are many kinds of speed, this power pertains to how fast a shinobi can move, appear, and disappear. It is used to kill or defeat enemies in a flash and to quickly evade attacks or projectiles. Some extremely fast shinobi can appear behind their enemies so fast that their enemies wouldn't notice. This power is often carried out by raw speed, Shunshin, or Hiraishin.

Some ninjas with this power are Gai, Lee and Itachi, whose speeds are too fast for the eye to follow, Orochimaru, who has demonstrated fast speed especially when he quickly appeared behind Kabuto using (perhaps) Shunshin in the bridge where he was supposed to ambush Sasori, and Sasuke whose speed and Shunshin stunned even Deidara and Tobi.

But the best example for this is Konoha's Yellow Flash, who could kill an entire army in a spit second using his feared Hiraishin.

Power of Internal Damaging

This power is the ability to affect the mind or the internal processes and organs of the body. It is used to defeat opponents by directly attacking their body systems. Most of the techniques using this power have little or no destructive power and require little or no physical effort. Some ninjas who are adept with this power need to carry out little or no movement to defeat their opponents.

The best example by far is Itachi, who can use sharingan genjutsu to defeat an enemy merely by staring or pointing at his opponent, and Neji whose Gentle Fist style of taijutsu can gravely endanger an enemy with a touch.

Defensive Power

This kind of power gives its bearer the ability to withstand powerful attacks, especially physical and destructive attacks. Ninjas who excel with this power are hard to defeat as they have numerous ways to block or survive attacks. In a wide construal, some of the best ninjas adopt a defensive stance like a legion adopts a "Phalanx Formation" where the soldiers of the legion defend themselfes accordingly and counterattack when the opportunity presents itself.

Two characters who have excellent defense are Gaara, whose sand can be used to block powerful attacks, and Orochimaru who can summon the Rashoumon gates plus hi regeneration.

Now, here are some factors that can enhance a ninja's ability to use any kind of power to the fullest. Some of these are even required to properly perform the kinds of power.

Spoiler!

I chose not to include Pain since hes powers still seem mysterious and he has show to be able to do most of it and been said to be able to do all of it..

LOL sry for the wall of text. Discuss..

State Alchemist Monkey D. Dragon's Avatar
    Point being?

Mind f*cked beyond repair Stev3child's Avatar
    This is just like the databook stats i believe. That or it's really close. I think "balance" is also a very important aspect of power. The ability to use most of those elements of power to some degree to it's most natural ability.

I know it isnt really a branch of power that your decribing, but the sum of those elements for a given character will objectively determine if it is balanced or not.

And for me, i usually like very imbalanced characters like Rock Lee because it demonstrates that any 1 of these elements can win you a battle if you balance it out compared to everything else.

In Lee's case he cant use ninjutsu and he makes up for that with pure physical strength which also is augmented and shared with his speed. I like that type of scenario because it speaks volumes about the battles and it's formula. It says that because your missing one element completely, doesnt mean that you cant defeat a more "balanced" and talented opponent.
    QUOTE(s) OF THE MOMENT

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Death View Post
    I swear if your theories were any dumber I would be retarded...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve3child View Post
    This is just like the databook stats i believe. That or it's really close. I think "balance" is also a very important aspect of power. The ability to use most of those elements of power to some degree to it's most natural ability.

I know it isnt really a branch of power that your decribing, but the sum of those elements for a given character will objectively determine if it is balanced or not.

And for me, i usually like very imbalanced characters like Rock Lee because it demonstrates that any 1 of these elements can win you a battle if you balance it out compared to everything else.

In Lee's case he cant use ninjutsu and he makes up for that with pure physical strength which also is augmented and shared with his speed. I like that type of scenario because it speaks volumes about the battles and it's formula. It says that because your missing one element completely, doesnt mean that you cant defeat a more "balanced" and talented opponent.
    I basically agree much of what your said;

Reason why Lee lost to Gaara was because he had to overcome his horrendous lack of versatility with speed and power. Gaara had versatility, Lee didn't. Though in his respective aspect he was superior but because of the lack of versatility he lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey D. Dragon View Post
    Point being?
    This is mere classification of powers. It doesn't necessarily to have a certain point, just to be discussed about and perhaps a bit informative. Since there is not much to discuss about right now..

you're too troublesome Shikamaru-sensei's Avatar
    People like Shikamaru and Kakashi, also share this idea of "imbalance" Where the lack in chakra reserves, they make for with extreme intelligence. This makes what little they can do, count for big numbers.

Also a comment on this talk of Gaara and his versatility. I find it fishy how Gaara was able to stand up and walk away from Lee's rampage on him, and later went on to be dismissed from one explosion from Deidara. Gaara definitely got a more severe beating from Lee, and won that match. But I guess Gaara needed to be captured by Deidara to give him the hype of being strong for his introduction into the manga.

Quote Originally Posted by Freakshow View Post
    I basically agree much of what your said;

Reason why Lee lost to Gaara was because he had to overcome his horrendous lack of versatility with speed and power. Gaara had versatility, Lee didn't. Though in his respective aspect he was superior but because of the lack of versatility he lost.

This is mere classification of powers. It doesn't necessarily to have a certain point, just to be discussed about and perhaps a bit informative. Since there is not much to discuss about right now..
    Basically that's why he lost. But to me he pretty much controlled the battle and countered everything while Gaara was on the defensive the whole bout and basically had to "wait" until Lee thought he was done and take advantage of that. So to me Lee won the battle but gaara won the war. Just like how sasuke pulled an amaterasu out his ass to win the war against Killer Bee. But bee clearly outmatched Sasuke in every aspect and countered everything. Lee imo can win alot of his battle if his moves werent so damaging against his own body. LOL Bee Lee ryming FTW!!!!*cough*. But maybe you should add weaknesses to this thread. Would be interesting.
    QUOTE(s) OF THE MOMENT

There is another power .... It is a spiritual one the Power Of Free Will ninjas do whatever they feel best in there capability to stand for what is right to choice their own path they use their heart and mind to follow their beliefs

Quote Originally Posted by Shikamaru-sensei View Post
    People like Shikamaru and Kakashi, also share this idea of "imbalance" Where the lack in chakra reserves, they make for with extreme intelligence. This makes what little they can do, count for big numbers.
    I agree

But not always though.
    Assume a specific character has a skill of 5 in taijutsu and 1 in genjutsu and ninjutsu. This character fights someone who has a 4 in taijutsu and 4 in genjutsu and 4 in ninjutsu? Who's most likely to win? The one with the higher average? Why higher average? Because he can deal with more situations.

It basically comes down to who'll run out of options first. The more options you have, the greater your chance of victory.

But as for intelligence and will, it seems like they can basically find a way in the impossible. Shikamaru defeated someone who Kakuzu was unable to defeat, even though Kakuzu had greater power and his intelligence was Kage lvl.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve3child View Post
    Basically that's why he lost. But to me he pretty much controlled the battle and countered everything while Gaara was on the defensive the whole bout and basically had to "wait" until Lee thought he was done and take advantage of that. So to me Lee won the battle but gaara won the war. Just like how sasuke pulled an amaterasu out his ass to win the war against Killer Bee. But bee clearly outmatched Sasuke in every aspect and countered everything. Lee imo can win alot of his battle if his moves werent so damaging against his own body. LOL Bee Lee ryming FTW!!!!*cough*. But maybe you should add weaknesses to this thread. Would be interesting.
    Thats the thing with Taijutsu. Most people with Taijutsu lack defenses..
    People who have great aspects in defense, intelligence and Genjutsu (Perhaps) Has to wait for the opponent to start their act. Orochimaru and Shikamaru mostly seem to see what their opponent has in store for them,.. Not necessarily but mostly. IMO

you're too troublesome Shikamaru-sensei's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ClaSSiiK Xx View Post
    There is another power .... It is a spiritual one the Power Of Free Will ninjas do whatever they feel best in there capability to stand for what is right to choice their own path they use their heart and mind to follow their beliefs
    Willpower is already mentioned in FS's first post. Willpower made only 2 notable appearances in my opinion, and those 2 times were when Naruto continued to take a beating from Kabuto and caught him with his Ransengan. He had the willpower to endure and not give up! The other time is when Jiraiya forced himself back to life to leave his message to Naruto/Konoha.

When someone has an unuasually high amount of 1 stat, i say that character is imbalanced, but also outstanding. And those are the characters like Lee and to some degree Naruto because they have a stat that is obviously higher by a significant amount than the other ones.
    QUOTE(s) OF THE MOMENT