Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Making a manga...

Hey guys, not posted for a while due to college, so hi all =]
    Anyway onto the topic: i've come up with (what i think) is a pretty sick idea for a manga, i have story prototypes, a title, basic character descriptions, a plot etc, only problem is im absolutely useless at drawing manga. Essentially im looking for a whole team of sci-fi manga enthusiasts (think a mix between Eureka 7 and 07 Ghost and you kind of have the very basics of the story) who can bounce ideas off of each other so that 1 or more artists can then draw it.

If people are interested i can post up some of the stuff i've come up with so far, i just didn't really want to do too much stuff, then come here and find nobody wants to help =S

Also, does a manga HAVE to have originally been in japanese? Because i don't particularly want to write a western style "comic" if you get my meaning.

whats this manga about? could you give me the a plotline of the first chapter

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Quote Originally Posted by Otogakage View Post
    Also, does a manga HAVE to have originally been in japanese? Because i don't particularly want to write a western style "comic" if you get my meaning.
    You can buy such things as OEL manga (Tokyopop have a few I think), they are original english language manga, but personally I frown upon them, they're just a cheap wannabe manga.
    Even if they were to recieve alot of praise, to me they would just be an immitation and I wouldn't touch them with a 40ft barge pole.

Not to put you off though, if you want to just make one for a sense of achievement then go for it chief.

Quote Originally Posted by Sangaz View Post
    You can buy such things as OEL manga (Tokyopop have a few I think), they are original english language manga, but personally I frown upon them, they're just a cheap wannabe manga.
    Even if they were to recieve alot of praise, to me they would just be an immitation and I wouldn't touch them with a 40ft barge pole.

Not to put you off though, if you want to just make one for a sense of achievement then go for it chief.
    Would you not conisider reading one even if it started on these boards? i thought it might be a good idea make it a sort of forum game where people just post up ideas and pictures of stuff, and others come up with their own chapters and storylines to make some epic story, BY MANGA LOVERS, FOR MANGA LOVERS!

you should click here for a tip on manga.

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Quote Originally Posted by Sangaz View Post
    ...Tokyopop...they're just a cheap wannabe manga.
    QFT.

Otogakage, I don't suggest you to do this through the net; try to get a person you can contact in real life and meet in person so that your combination of work can be done more smoothly. That's just my opinion, anyway.

Basically I was thinking that the manga could be set in a parallel universe where early in its history (Ancient Egypt era), people learned of another personality in all humans souls, and found a way to unleash their latent powers. These varied from summoning a giant 27 foot steel mannequin to allowing someone to manipulate shadows, but are not necessarily weapons, though all have that capability (eg, someone who enjoys cooking could have the ability to create fire, and as a by product could use this as a weapon).

In the future (like 2013 maybe) we have developed a way of sealing these souls into SD card sized storage devices called EMBChips (stands for Emblem chips), which also contain your money,and DNA ID and are required to use any advanced electronics (phones, tvs, computers). Thus, these essentially an ID card that controls a persons life, and a new government creates a totalitarian society in which the police are free to confiscate this chip off you, which needless to say a lot of people dont like, and who are in turn made into nobodies by the government: they call themselves "the Flux".

At the beginning the main character is a 12 year old boy who attends a government state school (teaching children what the government wants them to know), where children live after they are taken off their parents at the age of 10. This is one of if not the "greatest" of all state schools, where children are trained from an early age to join the army.
    The main character was left on the steps of the school at birth with only his EMBChip, no name or parental details, and when he was run through the DNA database no matches came up. He would have been disposed of had his chips soul power been such an anomaly, and so instead was given the codename Aeon, and trained to be the greatest military commander the government had "owned" as it were.

For several chapters (up to 10?) the boys progress up to 12 is catalogued and it is made clear he has promise, with the last chapter of this ending with him being 12 and first joining military school, and us hearing the 1st mention of the "4 Tempests", and the government realising he is possibly one of their reincarnations. Then there would be a 4 year timeskip to him graduating as the highest ranked new recruit in history, meeting the flux and discovering that essentially people are manipulating him and his friends etc etc. there is more but i've nattered enough so ill let you read this first and tell me what you think ahaha. =]

My idea lacks... IMPACT!? =O

Quote Originally Posted by Otogakage View Post
    My idea lacks... IMPACT!? =O
    no, but read this then

i wouldn't let the fact that it's a "manga" limit what kind of story you wanna write, as long as it's something your comfortable with, it will turn out great.

i draw comic stuff myself, i'm in school right now, but on my freetime i study manga, especially the drawing styles and instruments used to build a successful manga, i've even used "manga studio pro", it's really cool program, it's not photoshop, but's it's cool.

your plotline sounds good and the concept is great, keep going with it, i'd say.