Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Whats Up with the Shichibukai?

I was wondering if some of the Shichibukai are as powerful as everyone thinks. It seems that there bounties seem kinda of low for there power. I mean Crocodile was only 80 million and even if he wasn't captured, it would have been 160 million. But compared to the other know bounties, 340 million, 296 million, and 320 million, Crocodile seems pathetic. Luffy could probably become one of them if he were to ask, he's bounty is 300 million as well as Zoro. So either the bounties are too low or they were raised to a point where no one had seen such a huge amount and they were asked to become the Shichibukai, with the exception of Crocodile. (evidenced by the fact they all had former bounties but that could just mean they are no longer in effect or something)

Bounties only report the threat potential the wanted guy imposes on the world government and not strength. Oda said himself that if bounties was measured by power Crocodile´s bounty would be doubled. The world government didn´t think Crocodile was that big of a threat and gave him "only" an 81 million bounty.

Bounties aren't everything. It doesn't only reflect a person's fighting capability, but also a person's active threat to the world government. For example, Robin's bounty was 79 million at the age of 8 due to her active threat to the world government.

Even if Crocodile's fighting capability is equal to some other Shichibukai, if he didn't do something as outrageous as declaring war against the world government, his former bounty would be low. I suppose somehow he managed to get into Shichibukai using his brain instead of brawl. Jimbei had to launch a war of terror and carnage in North Blue to obtain his rank. In more than one ways, Crocodile is a little special. Mihawk doesn't attend any government meetings, Moria is doing dirty stuff behind world government's back, Doflamingo keeps on his pirate activity like normal pirates and control even high ranking marine officers in the face of the fleet admiral. Yet Crocodile is perhaps so far, the only Shichibukai that actually tries to make himself look good by doing heroic things in Alabasta. That means he actually cares about his image, and calculates everything.

Besides, World Government didn't know that Crocodile was after Alabasta in order to obtain Pluton. If the World Government acknowledges that, the 162 million supposed bounty would double. Oda stated Crocodile's supposed bounty with this statement: "If the World Government acknowledges Crocodile's current abilities and his involvement with Baroque Works, his bounty would be more than double of 81m." Oda did not include the ancient weapon part. If the World Government assigned a 79m to an 8 year old just cuz she has the possibility of reviving a weapon, they would assign 400m to Crocodile for actively attempting to obtain it.

More importantly, Crocodile is a smart guy. Getting your bounty to an outrageous level helps no one. I bet those Shichibukai joined the marines due to their bounties getting just a little too high and being besieged by 200 warships everyday is just a little too annoying.

Have you noticed that Crocodile never mentioned even once about his own bounty even though it was obviously way higher than Luffy's back then? It shows he simply doesn't care. If Crocodile is dangerous enough and willing to join the Shichibukai, the world government simply accepted.

Yeah... Oda presented the Shichibukai so cool that everybody think they're the best pirates along with Marine HQ and the Youkou, but maybe people overestimated them.

Okay, Crocodile (and Moria also, imo) are just trash, but Mihawk and Doflamingo are really powerful, if you see what they've done until the moment...

Quote Originally Posted by damnz View Post
    Yeah... Oda presented the Shichibukai so cool that everybody think they're the best pirates along with Marine HQ and the Youkou, but maybe people overestimated them.

Okay, Crocodile (and Moria also, imo) are just trash, but Mihawk and Doflamingo are really powerful, if you see what they've done until the moment...
    If it took Luffy three tries to beat a trash, I am very curious as to what the future stores.

One thing you have to understand is that bounties don't equal strength. At most the bounties of the Shichibukai are mainly placed there by the WG just to give them a more sense of piracy. Many other pirates believe the Shichibukai are sell outs and not in the sense of the word, a "real" pirate. As others stated it's also placed there to give other civilians and pirates a notice at how much of a threat they are.

READ RIKI-OH
    Jink's Manga Picks
    Shamo || Vinland Saga || Mirai Nikki || Dangu || Tokyo Red Hood

Ah I see what you mean, I wonder if anyone has ever gone after one of the big bounties.

ya Luffy LOST twice to Crocodile... and is only alive cause Robin saved him the 1st time and cause the water dropped on him by luck the 2nd time... even with Gear 2 or Gear 3 he wouldnt had been able to beat Crocodile... I think Crocodile bounty is in the 300+ mark just cause it never reached it doesnt mean he wasnt thta powerful. Is not an exact truth but if Luffy is worth 300 million and Cr
    ------------------------------------------
    Croco worth is at least 300+... even now with Gear 2 and 3 Luffy would have been at a disadvantage against him. Cause he is Logia, Luffy couldnt hit him. Croco beat twice a man who is 300mill I think he proved that he is not just trash.
    Last edited by luimac; 08-09-2007 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by luimac View Post
    even with Gear 2 or Gear 3 he wouldnt had been able to beat Crocodile
    What? Luffy beat Crocodile without any gears. Having Gear 2 would be overkill on Crocodile.

READ RIKI-OH
    Jink's Manga Picks
    Shamo || Vinland Saga || Mirai Nikki || Dangu || Tokyo Red Hood

not really... unless he had water or cut himself to be able to actually connect...
    remember... Luffy sees Smoker and RUNS... he knows he would be at a disadvantage against people he cant hit.. is cause he was so mad at Croco that he continued to fight even after being defeated twice