Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Intel vs. AMD

Hybrid View

Intel vs. AMD

Yo,

I'll soon be buying a laptop with a huge discount from the place I work at, but I'm hesitant about which one to take. The thing I'm doubting about is the processor, one has an Intel Core Duo T2080 (Compaq) and the other has an AMD Sempron 3500+ (Acer). For as far as I know, the Intel Core Duo T2080 is the better processor, but it has only 1730MHz, while the other has 2000MHz. The Compaq also only has 128MB shared video memory, while the Acer has 256MB shared video memory. Both have 1024MB RAM. So, which one would you pick?

Thanks in advance.

AMD Sempron is the Celeron of the AMD line. Stay from it like the plague.

I'd go for the Compaq any day. Also I hate ACER with full passion.

Also clockspeed is irrelevant. That Core Duo will outperform a 3.6GHZ P4.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeperu View Post
    Also clockspeed is irrelevant. That Core Duo will outperform a 3.6GHZ P4.
    You serious? That makes the notebook faster than my desktop computer.

Also, I don't know if I'll have any troubles with the 128MB shared video memory, it's not really... much, you know.

I have two AMD's the first I was a 3200+ that I got almost 3 years ago from a company called evesham. The second (Acer) I found here that the screen can crack very easily, so be aware.

Except for that I have had no real problems with it but looking at the specs you posted I think I'd go with the Compaq in this situation also.
    Last edited by Wolverine; 08-09-2007 at 01:10 PM.

Hmm, I'd buy a decent desktop with a Core 2 Duo 6600, nvidia 8xxx series card and 2GB Memory ;p altough I suppose you want a laptop to carry it around to college or whatever, so a desktop's prolly too big/heavy.

PS: Go for intel
    Your friendly neighborhood debunker.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulimo View Post
    Hmm, I'd buy a decent desktop with a Core 2 Duo 6600, nvidia 8xxx series card and 2GB Memory ;p altough I suppose you want a laptop to carry it around to college or whatever, so a desktop's prolly too big/heavy.

PS: Go for intel
    I can get the computers for mini prices here too, but I indeed want a laptop, 'cuz it's mobile. I want to be able to get online from anywhere around the house and also in planes, trains, college and everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Mass Zero View Post
    I can get the computers for mini prices here too, but I indeed want a laptop, 'cuz it's mobile. I want to be able to get online from anywhere around the house and also in planes, trains, college and everything.
    Mediamarkt, alternate or something else? :p
    Your friendly neighborhood debunker.

@Sulimo: Nah, Dixons. ;o
    Anyway, thanks for the tips, I'll go for the Compaq.

Queen Most
    Likely To Be King
    This thread shouldn't be called Intel Vs Amd - We're talking about a new line of high performance processors versus an aging line of low performance ones.

Amd Vs Intel is debateable - This decision isn't.

Go for the Core Duo.

Onto the Gfx issue - 128mb on a card with a good clockspeed will outperform a card with 256mb and a bad clockspeed. Go for the card with the newest shades, more pipelines, higher clock speed, and don't be fooled by advertising ploys.
    Last edited by NPG; 08-09-2007 at 04:51 PM.

well i would wait till the end of the year when the amd phenom prosesors come out they are suppost to out proform intell (a duel core amd phenom got more than half the score a quadcore core 2 extream got) but for know go with the compaq it will out profform the amd and you can allways add more ram to boost the grafic proformance.
    hmm i wonder what obitos doing right now.... decomposing and smelling up the joint i gess coz hes dead!!