To be fair, its hard to say what the sharingan is capable of copying anymore. Kishimoto himself seems to have forgotten how the sharingan derived its name. Based on the original explanation both every character with the sharingan should have a multitude of techniques that they have never shown in combat. As it stands now, it is really hard to know what the sharingan is capable of copying because Kishimoto has basically ignored the sharingan's copying abilities for the majority of the series.
Personally, I would agree that it would be common sense to assume that Kakashi could perform the hidden mist technique based on how easily he copied other techniques early on it the series. However, it is difficult to say for certain because the Hidden Mist technique was basically used to block his sharingan, so it is difficult to say whether he was able to copy it. With that said though, we know that Kakashi can copy techniques and has copied over 1000 techniques. We haven't seen him use nearly that many so for someone to say that he cannot use it just because it hasn't been shown is if anything more baseless than to say that he definitely can't use it. We have to assume that most characters with the sharingan have more techniques than the show and simply choose not to use them because that is the nature of the sharingan. Notice that in most battles Itachi doesn't use water techniques at all but we know that he can use them and he has probably copied most of Kisame's because that is how the sharingan has been defined to work. Another example is Nagato, in the manga he is almost never shown using elemental techniques at all but we have been told that he can use every element and could learn every technique he was shown easily. Based on that I would say it is safe to assume that he can use most of the common water, earth, fire, and wind techniques.
So to answer the question, I would say, it is true that we cannot say for sure that Kakashi can use the hidden mist technique but based on the sharingan's ability to copy techniques and the fact that Kakashi seemed to copy all of Zabuza and Kisame's other water techniques with ease, it is not unreasonable to assume that he was able to copy the hidden mist technique. Also we have been told that he has copied 1000 techniques and well over 90% of those haven't been shown, so saying that because he hasn't been shown using it he must not have it, is an invalid argument. Kakashi likely doesn't use the technique because in most situations it doesn't support his fighting style. Kakashi relies heavily on his sharingan and keen vision, so using the hidden mist technique would impair many of his greatest strengths. In the case of Zabuza the hidden mist technique suited his skill set very well because he had excellent hearing and relied mostly on sneak attacks.
The bigger point is what elements can Kakashi use which we know in the manga is Lightning, Water & Earth styles.
Only the anime has Kakashi using fire style and it is probably incorrect since there have to be limits to the number of elements one can master.
If Kakashi can use a high level jutsu like the Water Dragon, & other water jutsu's like Water wall & Water clone jutsu then pulling of the Mist jutsu is a cake walk.
Kakashi generally acts as a support for his teammates, who usually cannot take advantage of the Hidden Mist. Kakashi could probably use it better than Zabuza due to having the Sharingan, which can see chakra. If Kakashi teamed up with Naruto (who has sensory abilities), it could probably be effective, but they only ever fight other Doujutsu users at this point.
this was an entertaining thread. everyone knows that the concealing mist is within kakashi's reach if he doesn't know it already. the argument presented by the op seemed to have more to do with zabuza specifically. the other person was hinging the argument, it seemed, on whether kakashi copied it from zabuza. well, as some people logically believe the near catch-22 setup of 'the mist will conceal from the sharingan but will the sharingan copy the mist as it is cast.. it's not a proper catch-22 but close enough for illustrative purposes.
my personal belief-
1) kakashi definitely meets the requirements to perform the technique.
2) kakashi likely already knows how if he is a good leader. i would like to think that if he encounters a jutsu that puts himself or his teammates in danger that he would do his homework afterwards and be prepared for it in the future.
3) did kakashi copy it from zabuza? it's hard to say even though it's easy at first to believe he did. in chapter 522, edo zabuza cast's the hidden mist technique. the duration of forming seals and release is done in plain sight, affording the sharingan opportunity to witness and record the technique if neither person's back is turned. so, that proves it's possible.
4) kakashi follows up in the edo fight by reacting according the mist's advantages and recognizing the blind spot of those caught within the mist. kakshi then states he has a handle on strengths and abilities of zabuza and haku. this could easily have been said based on experience of previously having battled them as the sharingan would have difficulty discerning the technique through the "eye of insight" because the concealment itself is the function.
5) in any case, at this point in the manga, i say it's 95% certain kakashi can use hidden mist because as i pointed out, zabuza used it in chapter 522 facing directly to kakashi with active sharingan. it was automatically recorded at that point. as we know, many of the "good guy" edo shinobi presented their weaknesses and abilities willingly.
6) kakashi would refrain from using mist because it is against his battle style. using it would effectively be inflicting blindness upon himself, a great folly! it is a techique to compliment sound locating which kakashi has no indication of such a skill. his talent is smell and sight.
conclusion - yes, kakashi can use hidden mist. it is not a bloodline limit. kakashi can use water element of that level. kakashi's sharingan recorded the technique in chapter 522, making pointless any argument stemming from the pre-time skip battle with zabuza at the bridge
I think he has done Water, lightning, earth, and fire. Did he do wind? I think that is why the other team leader had to give him tips. I think you can't do all of them.
Originally Posted by POW
I believe the answer should be that Kakashi CAN use it, but chooses not to. The logic is simple really, as proven against Zabuza, the Sharingan can't see through the mist technique (nor can the Rinnegan by the looks of it, since the alliance used it against Madara). Nor is Kakashi trained like Zabuza in the art of silent killing and able to detect his opponents presence through sound. Add to that the fact that Kakashi is ever reliant on his Sharingan, why would he use the mist technique and put himself in a disadvantageous position.
Basically 80% of the current Kakashi is sharingan (talking his ability here). By using the mist, his rendering it useless, thus meaning it lowers him to 20% of his capabilities. Why would he want to weaken himself?
I was a bit lazy and didn't want to type it all out but this sums it up exactly.
Originally Posted by ChaosMaster
Using the Hidden mist mean relying on "other senses" to detect enemies because your visual sense is blocked. If you are a tracker type that uses mental sensing, smell or sound or some other kind of non visual sensing then the Mist Jutsu would be to your advantage.